fbpx
Building Energy Efficiency Survey

Vicky Vaughan

Department for Business, Engery and Industrial Strategy

BOSS CONTROLS is excited to learn about the Building Energy Efficiency Survey (BEES) published by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. The study collected data through a large sample of telephone surveys (3,690) across ten sectors and calculated each premises’ annual energy use. This was broken down by end use; and an abatement model calculated the energy saving potential.

The report revealed that 67% of energy consumption was used to provide building services (heating, ventilation, cooling, hot water and lighting). The remaining 33 per cent of energy consumption related to sector specific activity end uses.

Highest energy consumption (source: BEES)
  • Large enterprises account for 53% of total energy consumption.
  • SMEs account for the balance of the energy, primarily in arts, leisure, industrial and hospitality sectors and community
  • Median total annual energy intensity was highest for premises in hospitality (387kWh/m2), followed by emergency services (325kWh/m2) and health (201kWh/m2).
  • Natural gas is used to heat 65% of premises
  • There is significant variation in the heating fuel used for hot water across sectors with natural gas dominant in some and electricity in others
  • The four largest energy end uses were space heating, internal lighting, catering and cooled storage (for storage of food and drink), which accounted for 70% of total consumption
BEES identified that the five largest sectors in terms of energy consumption were:
  • Offices (17%)
  • Retail (17%)
  • Industrial (16%)
  • Health (11%)
  • Hospitality (11%)

These account for 71% of total non-domestic energy consumption.

The three most common ‘internal’ uses of electrical energy were:
  • Lighting (21,260 GWh/year)
  • Cooled storage (10,790 GWh/year)
  • ICT Equipment (7,910 GWh/year)
The three most common non-electrical energy ‘internal’ uses were:
  • Space heating (59,300 GWh/year)
  • Hot water(6,300 GWh/year)
  • Catering (6,040 GWh/year)

Stemming from 2020: Meet Emma, our new BMS Controls Engineer

BOSS CONTROLS is opening a second office in Manchester headed by Brian Heron, previously a director at Aimteq Solutions Limited. Brian brings a wealth of experience in the Building Energy Management Controls sector, serving in Technical and Account Director roles previously. Brian also brings extensive technology solutions knowledge and has led in several agile software development projects for ‘smart grid’ and estate wide ‘asset monitoring’ solutions’.

read more

Get in touch with your BEMS/BMS partner, BOSS CONTROLS

If you have any questions about BEMS/BMS or energy management, Please don’t hesitate to send us a message

Phone

Phone 01403 886508

Contact BOSS CONTROLS today to reduce
your carbon emissions and save money
at the same time.

Address

 BOSS CONTROLS (South):
Barclays House, 51 Bishopric,
Horsham RH12 1QJ

BOSS CONTROLS (South West):
Siston Hill, Warmley,
Bristol BS30 5LU